Firmware is an important update from many points of view. Many drone owners don’t know how to update the firmware on their Phantom 3. This article will teach you How To Update DJI Phantom 3 Firmware. This is something you will need to do often so it’s important that you are familiar with the process.
Install The Firmware On Your Phantom
- Make sure your Phantom battery has at least 50% charge. When you press the power switch, at least two lights should be visible. You can stop right here to charge your battery up to 50%.
- Turn off both the remote controller and your Phantom.
- Take out the props and remove the gimbal.
- Insert your memory card in the memory slot on the camera.
- Install the Phantom battery in your Phantom and turn it on. For power on the battery press and release quickly the button – then press and hold the button in place for 2 seconds.
- To monitor the installation process, you can use the status light. It should do the following.
- Flash green when your Phantom is getting started.
- While the firmware update process is underway, alternate between green and red.
- When the firmware update is complete, your computer will turn solid green. A D-DD beeping sound will also be heard.
Why Should I Upgrade My Firmware?
Firmware is basically software that runs a specific device. Nearly all devices have firmware. This includes modems, calculators, smartphones, and other smart devices. The firmware controls the interaction of all the electronics in the drone and controller, so it’s not surprising that drones are complex. If your Phantom is running fine, why bother upgrading the firmware?
- Enjoy new features from DJI.
- Repair bugs found in the current firmware
- Support for third-party accessories and the most recent apps.
We recommend that you update the firmware of your Phantom as soon as possible after DJI releases it. It’s possible that an issue has been introduced in the old firmware. It’s not ideal for something to prevent your aircraft from having problems in the future. Therefore, it is always a good idea to update the firmware as soon as possible.
Where Can I Find The Most Recent Phantom 3 Firmware Updates?
You can always find the latest software for any DJI product on their official website. These links apply to Phantom 3. Below each P3 model, we have listed the most current firmware as of the writing.
- Phantom 3 Pro (Download link)
- Phantom 3 Advanced (Download link)
- Phantom 3 Standard (Download link)
- Phantom 3 4K (Download link)
The most recent firmware update will be labeled “Firmware version XYZZ”. These numbers will indicate the most recent firmware. You can keep up-to-date with the latest firmware releases by using your DJI app or DJI newsroom.
How Can I Verify The Latest Firmware Version Of My Phantom?
This is a simple task, especially since DJI GO will notify you when upgrades are needed.
- Turn on the plane and the controller
- Connect your smartphone or tablet to your Phantom
- Install the DJI GO App.
- Enter Camera view.
- Tap the settings icon in the upper-right corner of your screen. It is indicated by three horizontal lines.
- Scroll down to the bottom of all the options and click on ‘About. The current firmware version of your remote and aircraft will be displayed.
What Should I Do Before Updating Firmware?
Both the remote control and aircraft battery must be fully charged. You should have these items on hand:
- You can find the latest DJI GO version on the Google Play Store or App Store for Apple devices.
- A microSD card fast with at least 100mb free space (let’s increase it to 200mb for safety)
- Stable internet connectivity
- It takes about an hour to complete the firmware update
How To Update DJI Phantom 3 Firmware
All Phantom 3 models (Pro-, Advanced, Standard, and 4K) are almost identical. The video below will show you how to upgrade the firmware. You can also see our guide step-by-step with text instructions if you prefer.
Using the DJI GO App (Compatible with Phantom 3 Standard and Phantom 4K).
- Turn on the Remote Controller and the Aircraft.
- As normal, connect to the Wi-Fi network of your Aircraft.
- You can launch the DJI Go app with your tablet or phone just like you would normally.
- Tap the prompt at top of the screen to receive a notification that a new firmware update is available.
- Connect your mobile device now to your office or home wifi to connect to the Internet.
- Return to DJI Go and click the “Download Now” button at the bottom.
- A progress bar will appear, which will display the progress of your download.
- After the file has been downloaded, you will need to change the wifi networks again. To do this, go to the settings screen of your phone or tablet. Change your wifi connection to the controller’s network from your office or home network.
- Now you can re-open DJI Go and click on the “Start Upgrade” button.
- You will again see a progress bar to indicate how the firmware update progresses. During this time, please don’t shut down your aircraft or mobile device.
- After the upgrade is completed, click on the “Complete” button in the DJI Go app and then restart your aircraft. The new firmware will be installed.
Use A Computer (Compatible With All Phantom 3 Ranges)
- Go to the appropriate DJI downloads page to grab the latest firmware: Phantom3 Professional Phantom3 Advanced Phantom3 Standard Phantom3 4K
- Save the zip file to a folder on your desktop. The firmware is contained in the.bin file.
- Your Micro SD card can be inserted into the slot in the Phantom 3’s Gimbal.
- Use the USB cable provided with your Phantom to connect your computer to the Micro-USB port. You can also remove the SD card from your Phantom and then insert it into your computer with a card reader.
- As normal, turn on your Phantom 3 drone.
- Copy the.bin file that you just unzipped to your desktop and place it at the root of your SD card. It should now be listed as a storage device on the computer. The root is the SD card’s home location, and not any subfolders or folders.
- Once the file is copied, disconnect the USB cable connecting the aircraft to your computer. You can also remove the SD card from your computer and put it back into the aircraft.
- Now, the aircraft will automatically upgrade its firmware using the.bin file you have placed on the SD Card. The process can take up to 40 minutes so don’t be alarmed that it takes so long. The device might make strange sounds or reboot during the update process. This is normal and expected.
- After the update is complete, you will see a small LED on the gimbal.
- Flashing green and red means that Firmware is still being upgraded.
- Solid green light – The firmware update is complete.
- Solid red – The firmware update was unsuccessful.
10. The firmware upgrade is complete when the status LED on your Phantom 3 gimbal turns solid green and does not flash,
11. You should also pay attention to the sounds your gimbal makes. A beep every half second means that the updated file is being recognized and loaded. Four beeps per row indicate that the file is in progress. Finally, one short beep indicates that the update is complete.
This completes the firmware upgrade. Before you can continue using your aircraft, please delete the bin file.
How Do I Update The Firmware Of The Phantom 3 Controller
You will need to update the firmware of your Phantom 3 Professional or Advanced quadcopter when it is necessary. Please ensure that you have the following information before updating the firmware on your Phantom’s remote controller:
- Upgrading the DJI GO app from the Google Play Store to the latest version is recommended.
- Make sure your remote control is fully charged
- Make sure that the Aircraft is switched off
- You can connect your tablet or phone to the internet via the remote.
- To download the firmware package via DJI GO, ensure you have at least 50MB free space on your smartphone or tablet.
The process of updating the controller’s firmware is made much simpler by the DJI GO app:
- Use the provided USB cable to connect your Phantom 3 remote control to your smartphone or tablet.
- As normal, turn on the remote.
- Open the DJI GO App on your tablet or phone.
- As normal, enter the camera interface.
- Tap the “Flight Status” bar in your app (the large colored block at top of the screen).
- Tap on the “Overall Status” option. A message should appear saying “Upgrade Required”.
- Tap the “Download Firmware” option in the app.
- Once the firmware is downloaded, click on the “Start to Upgrade” option at the bottom.
- To signal that firmware upgrades have begun, the remote controller will emit a warning sound and the LED on the bottom left will blink blue.
- The DJI Go app will display a progress bar in real-time that shows how far you are from the completion of your update.
- The firmware upgrade is complete when the progress bar reaches a full height and the LED on your remote controller changes to solid green.
Update of Battery Firmware
Here Are Some Useful Tips For Updating Phantom 3 Firmware
- You should only have one firmware pack on your MicroSD card. Before you begin the procedure, verify that it is true.
- Ensure that your drone’s file system and controller support media files with ExFAT or FAT32 file systems during an upgrade
- To avoid any problems with the downloading process, your internet connection must be stable.
- Before you begin the firmware update, make sure you enable “Airplane Mode” on your phone to ensure that you are not interrupted by incoming calls during the process.
- If the drone is still flying, it’s not a good idea to run updates. This operation should be performed only on the ground, in compliance with all safety regulations.
- After the update, you will need to synchronize your device.
Do I Need To Update The Software For DJI Phantom 3 Standard Standard?
How Can I Verify My Phantom 3 Firmware Version?
How Do I Update My DJI Firmware?
Every DJI drone must be updated on a regular basis. In this post, we go over the methods and crucial pre-steps for updating the firmware. Firmware is the software that controls all of the drone’s functions and capabilities. The control software communicates with all nodes and systems on the drone, rendering flight impossible. The flight would be impossible without firmware. The availability of the most recent firmware version is critical to flight safety. Each update contains fixes for discovered flaws and weaknesses that might have disastrous repercussions.
Please share this post if you found it helpful so that others might see its contents as well! Thank you for reading!