Zhiyun Smooth 4 vs Q2 are both stabilization gimbals, they both use the same high-quality electronic stabilization system. However, Zhiyun Smooth 4 has a wider range of motion and is available in different kit configurations with the different accessories you need in order to get up and running. In this blog, we will be comparing Zhiyun Smooth 4 vs Q2, especially the difference between two gimbals in physical aspects.
Zhiyun Smooth 4 Review
With the aid of Zhiyun Smooth 4, you can produce reliable, smooth footage using only your phone. Zhiyun Smooth 4 transforms your smartphone into a professional filmmaking camera.
Using hot-key buttons, the integrated control panel’s design enables users to directly manage the stabilizer and mobile camera without touching the screen.
- Smooth footage
- High-quality construction
- Zoom/focus wheel
- Battery life is very long
- Two-way charging
- No joystick control
- Limit on payload
- Face tracking is not a good idea
Zhiyun Smooth Q2 Review
The Zhiyun Smooth-Q2 is a smartphone gimbal, which means it physically stabilizes your phone to prevent vibrations and bumps when recording video by clamping onto it.
Ultra-smooth video is produced when the optical or electronic image stabilization found in the majority of current smartphones is combined.
It can also take pictures, particularly ones that need steady hands, like those taken in low light or with long exposures.
- It is very portable. The gimbal is smaller than other smartphones, making it easy to take with you wherever you go.
- It is simple to use The defaults are very intuitive and there are no complicated controls.
- Quality Construction The aluminum body and all components feel extremely sturdy.
- USB Type-C You don’t need to bring any older cables with you when you travel with this cable.
- You can only do certain shots with a limited range of motion
- There are no speed controls. The Smooth-Q2 will not be able to keep up with quick turns.
What is The Same?
There is not much difference between the Zhiyun Smooth 4 and the Q2. Both gimbals are designed for use with smartphones and action cameras.
Both offer similar features and functionality. The main difference is that the Zhiyun Smooth 4 has a built-in tripod, while the Q2 does not.
Zhiyun Smooth 4 Vs Q2
Design and Appearance
Apart from the obvious differences in size, the most significant change should be the button on Zhiyun Smooth Q2, which has only three settings for the entire handle, including the joystick and power button keys. Because of its minimalist design, you can only control it using your thumb. It can be operated by even the granny.
The bottom has a 1/4-screw connection and an outer foot brace. This is the only way to connect to external equipment.
Zhiyun Smooth 4’s functional buttons are extensive. There are up to 17 hotkeys. These include direction keys and flashlights, MENU, DISP and buttons at the top, photo buttons at the bottom, buttons for zoom/focus, red dots, and video buttons in the lower.
The PF/L mode button is located at the bottom of the handle. PF is the Follow Mode. L is the lock mode. The stabilizer switch button and remaining power are also included.
Function and Features
The Zhiyun Smooth Q2 has only three operation keys, the joystick, power button, and photo/video button. Mode switching is now possible with a significant change. Zhiyun combines the mode switching button with the universal operation key and switches the mode by pressing the joystick. One press to switch the stabilizer mode, and two presses to return to the previous mode.
- There are currently five modes: PF (left-right follow mode), F (full follow mode), L (full-lock mode), POV (first view mode), or V (3D dream).
Smooth 4 has its own features. You can access them by pressing the button at the handle’s back. These keys can be used to enter PhoneGo and Following modes.
- PhoneGo mode: The rocker switch at the front Zhiyun smooth4 can be used for activating PhoneGo mode. This synchronizes motors at maximum speed, even with the smallest movements.
- Following mode: The roll axis of the phone is locked, and the pitch axis moves horizontally. Double-clicking on the full follow button places the phone automatically in the middle.
Smooth Q2 also increases the battery life. The 4,500 mAh battery can provide 17 hours of shooting. You can enjoy a full day of shooting without worrying about power.
Zhiyun Smooth 4’s battery can last for 12 hours. This is enough for daily operations.
- The Q2 claims that it can hold up to 260g of the phone. This is 50 grams more than the Smooth 4.
- It can also hold the 196g Samsung Galaxy Note10+ and 64 grams for Olloclip lens attachment.
- Quick-release technology means that the Q2 doesn’t require you to mount or rebalance your phone every time.
- You can leave the phone holder attached. To reply to a message, quickly release the phone holder from the gimbal.
Structure of the Gimbal
Comparing Zhiyun Smooth Q and Zhiyun Smooth 4, smooth 4 has more features keys and is more flexible than Smooth Q. Smooth 4’s most notable feature is the rotating wheel that allows zooming, focusing, and adjusting focus. Smooth four users don’t need to use their smartphone screens as much and can still take professional photos.
Smooth 4 has two USB-C ports built-in (an additional USB-C port is on the handle). It is possible to charge the smartphone and gimbal during photography.
The 3-axis Zhiyun smooth 4 has three basic gimbal shooting modes.
Pan and Follow are the first. This keeps the horizon at the same level. The pan axis will be tracked by the gimbal, but the camera can also be directed upwards or downwards.
The second mode, which is called the following, allows it to follow your movements using the tilt and/or pan axes. However, it will lock the roll axis. The gimbal will prevent the camera from rolling to one side or another to maintain a parallel line with the ground.
The last mode is locked mode. This mode locks all three axes. The Smooth 4 will help your camera maintain its orientation and focus on the target. This is useful when you are recording at concerts or mounting your camera on a vehicle.
Smooth 4’s feature “PhoneGo” is a clever one that can be activated by pressing the trigger button on your grip. Motor speed is increased, making the gimbal more responsive to movement. This feature is helpful when you need to capture quick changes in direction.
You can easily take multiple types of photos with the ZY Play app
- Single-shot photos are possible (very simple thanks to the snap button on your Gimbal).
- Panorama shots (180-degree panoramas, 3×3 panoramas).
- Motion timelapse and timelapse
- Vertigo Effect
We have not seen the vertigo effect on any other smartphone gimbals. It’s a nice little camera effect, but I don’t find myself using it very often.
- Five shooting modes are available on the Zhiyun Smooth Q2. Gimbal owners will recognize all of these functions. These are their functions.
- Pan follow (PF). To make your phone pan in the desired direction, twist the handle left or right. The tilt lock remains.
- Lock (L), also known as “chicken head mode,” where the smartphone will aim in the same direction no matter how you move it.
- Full follow (F). Similar to Pan Follow. You can move the handle backward or forwards to tilt the smartphone up or down.
- POV: This mode has roll follow and Full Follow. To pan the smartphone, twist its handle, and tilt it in either direction. To turn your smartphone into a Dutch angle, tilt the handle to either the left or right.
- Vortex mode (POV flashing light): This allows your phone to move in a circular motion using the joystick. This is great for those spinning barrel shots. In this mode, you can hold the gimbal as a flashlight.
It was very easy to mount the phones that I tried the Smooth 4. The adjustable spring-loaded clamp allows you to simply open the clamp, and the phone will be held in place by the clamp.
The Zhiyun Smooth 4 can be used with most smartphones, even larger ones such as the Samsung Note 9 and the iPhone XS Max, thanks to its maximum supported payload of 220g. The Smooth 4 was strained by the 208g iPhone XS Max, which caused some balancing problems.
You will need to loosen the screw on the clamp when you first set up the Smooth 4 for a new device. The clamp should slide along the rails until the clamp is in a position that balances the device. If you don’t balance your device properly, the gimbal will automatically level it when it is switched on. However, it can overwork the motors of the gimbal and reduce battery life.
Zhiyun Smooth Q2 can carry a maximum payload of up to 260g. This makes it one of the most powerful smartphone gimbals, despite being small in size. Spring-loaded, adjustable clamp secures your smartphone and can be adjusted to fit larger phones.
It is compatible with almost every smartphone—one caveat. There is one caveat. This problem is not unique to the Smooth Q2, but it is more common.
Should I Buy Zhiyun Smooth 4 Or Q2?
The entry-level smartphone stabilizer is the zhiyun smooth q2. It is the finest option for the beginner vlogger for basic use due to its straightforward operation and lengthy battery life. You can visit Zhiyun Smooth 4 to sample various shooting modes.
At a Glance
|Zhiyun Smooth 4||Zhiyun Smooth Q2|
|Launch Date||April 2018||October 2019|
|Height||12.91″ / 328mm||8.03″ / 204mm|
|Weight||19.29oz / 547g||15.9oz / 450g|
8 buttons, 1 trigger, 2 wheels
2 buttons, 1 joystick
|Battery Runtime||8 to 12 hours||17 hours|
|Battery Charging Time||3.5 hours||3 hours|
|Rotation Angle||300 degrees||360 degrees|
|Maximum Weight Limit Capacity||7.41oz / 210g||9.17oz / 260g|
|Mini Tripod||Included||Sold separately|
|Filmic Pro app||Compatible||NOT compatible|
What is a phone stabilizer?
It can run for a long time and includes two charging options. The focus and zoom features of the phone can be automatically turned on with the aid of an easy-to-use FN switch button. You can select from motion lapse, hyperlapse, and slow motion modes on this stabilizer.
How long does Zhiyun Smooth 4 last?
Smooth 4 has a 12-hour continuous running time. You can see how much power is left by using the battery indicator. While you are shooting, the stabilizer may instantly charge your phone. You can record video all day without worrying about running out of battery.
Can I use Zhiyun Smooth 4 without the app?
The app is the sole way to use any of the gimbal controls.
What is the latest Zhiyun gimbal?
Introducing the new CRANE 3S, a renowned gimbal with fantastic motors and a completely new modular design that strives for greater applicability and simple operation.
Is Zhiyun Smooth 4 waterproof?
Water cannot penetrate Smooth 4. Avoid making any form of liquid or cleanser contact with CRANE 2. It is advised to clean with a dry cloth.
How do I reset my Q2 smooth?
- To start the Zhiyun Smooth Q2, long press the power button.
- triggers the joystick’s standby mode.
- Push up on the joystick when the four white indicator lights blink slowly. This will turn on the four lights.
- The four indicator lights will start to blink as you depress the joystick.
- Wait for the lights to flash twice before vertically placing the phone holder base down.
- Wait until the lights flash three times, then place the phone holder vertically down.
- Wait until the lights flash four times, then place the phone holder horizontally.
- Horizontally position the phone holder and wait till the lights flash five times.
- Wait for the lights to flash six times and stow the USB charging port to the side.
- Wait for the indicators to turn on before using the side-mounted USB charging port.
- The calibration of the six sides is finished.
Entry-level smartphones are stabilized using zhiyun smooth q2. It is a fantastic option for novices because it is simple to use and has a long battery life. If you want to try out other shooting modes, go to zhiyun smooth 4. Purchase a suitable gimbal for yourself according to your needs.
If you found this piece useful, please share it so that others can read it as well! I appreciate your reading.